Monday 20 February 2012

Fierce Friendship (Mk 2:1-13)

This is one of the many conflict stories in Mark where Jesus is challenged by the religious authorities. They are non-too pleased that he is forgiving sins because as far as they are concerned, only God can do that. It is easy for them to use the words of forgiveness, but how many of them can heal the paralysed man and let him walk? Jesus wants to heal the man but also to show people that he has authority! And what of the faith of the paralysed man’s friends ~ fierce friendship? They literally took the roof off so that they could get him to Jesus. You can imagine Jesus sitting there, teaching, and then the dust starts to fall…



“And I look out and I see paralysed men and women, paralysed congregations, paralysed ministries and I want to cry; ‘Your sins are forgiven. Rise, take up your bed and walk!’ And I treasure those moments of intrusion, when the heavens are torn apart and the Spirit descends and I rise from the water and I know there is hope” (William Loader).

No comments:

Post a Comment